Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Write Where You Can

So, I'm trying a little experiment the week.  My word counts have been less than fabulous of late, and it's been driving me crazy trying to figure out how to fix this.  My wife works full time and is going to school.  We have two young children.  There is always something broken at the house.  My car is trying to commit suicide.

I'm not complaining.  It's just life.  But for most of us, life and writing seem to be at odds with each other.

So, onto my experiment.

A while back I mentioned that I bought a netbook so that I could be more mobile with my writing.  Yet, I still struggled.  Kids have a way of finding you no matter where you hide.  Now, what I tell you next you'll have to promise to keep between just us.

At work I sometimes have a lot of downtime (hopefully my bosses don't read this).  So, I've been sneaking my netbook into work so that I can write in between my other duties.  So far things are going well.  I'm not getting great numbers while at work, but every little bit helps.  Right now I'm trying to finish up a few short stories that are rattling around in my head, then if thing go well, I'll be moving on to my next novel.

Of course, now that I've posted this I've most likely doomed myself to get caught.  But a writer's gotta write and sometimes the only way to get the story on paper is to write where you can.

No comments: