Saturday, September 17, 2011

Watch Your Holes

Yeah, I said it.

My wife sent me an article discussing some major plot holes in some very famous movies.  Some of the holes I've thought about before, some were new to me.

It got me thinking about how that when you are drawn into a story you are willing to suspend a whole giant dump truck full of disbelief.  This can happen in books as well.  But that doesn't mean you can leave that gaping hole just sitting there.  Once you see a hole, fill it in, man!

Yeah, I said that, too.  What can I say?  I get a bit frisky on the weekends.

Sometimes when writing I'm in such a hurry to get to the meat of the story that I blow right past the little details.  Those details soon run together to make a sinkhole big enough to swallow a house.  If this happens to you, don't despair.  You are in good company.  Besides, this is what editors, beta readers and second (third, fourth, fifth . . .) drafts are for.  Sometimes we are just too close to the terrain to see the pitfalls before us.  That is why, though writing is a lonely endeavor, to be great you cannot go it alone.

No comments: