Saturday, February 04, 2012

Simply Thankful Saturday

I've been lacking on subjects for blog posts of late.  I'm trying my best not to constantly blog about my own writing, as that is narcissistic and boring.  But, I don't really have all that much else to talk about.  I'm not an expert in the technical side of writing.  I'm not at a place where I would call myself a successful indie writer, so I feel a bit uncomfortable about giving out writing advice.  And I don't live a very exciting life.  I go to work, come home, play with my kids and in between I write as much as I can.

I wish I had more to offer you.  Really, I do.

So, for lack of a better subject, I'm going to steal a post idea from my wife's new blog.

It's time for Simply Thankful Saturday.  Here is a random list of things I'm thankful for.

1. My wife.  Times have been tough, financially speaking, the last couple of years.  But through the struggle we've been given a glimpse of the truly important things in life.  She's a great support for my writing, even though right now it's more of an expensive hobby than a lucrative job.

2. My kids.  They are a crazy couple of gremlins.  They wreck up the house.  They leave no clean space unsoiled.  I haven't had a good days rest since they came along.  But when they smile and hug my neck, it's worth every minute.

3. My Kindle.  I love my paper books, don't get me wrong, but e-readers have made reading so much more convenient.  I can carry my library with me.  No more bulky hardbacks.  Plus, the technology has given many great writers a chance to get their work out to the world.

4. The warm weather.  Indiana has been having a warm winter this year.  Many are upset about this.  They want the cold.  They want the snow.  Not me.  I wouldn't mind snow if I could just hunker down for the winter and hibernate, but alas, I must go to work.  Part of my job requires that I do snow removal.  No snow makes me a happy worker.

5. My writing friends.  I have made a lot of new writing comrades over the past couple of years, and each has taught me something new.  They have been there to help me promote my work, or be a beta reader, or even design a cover for me in a pinch.  Their blogs are a treasure trove of information.  My hope is that I can be the same for them.

It's easy to get bogged down in the dismal side of writing.  Don't forget what Yoda said. "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."  Remembering what you're thankful for is a great way to fight the fear.

No comments: