Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Paper or Plastic

Assuming the world doesn't end on the 21st, Christmas will be here soon.  Inevitably the question arises "What do you want?" to which I reply with a shrug and a blank look.

I'm at the age where there isn't much that I want.  I've either already bought it for myself or it's too expensive for me to own.  The first list seems to be shrinking while the second list is growing.  But I digress.

Books are a sure thing for me.  I love to read.  And I'll read just about anything.  I even read Twilight!

Oh, calm down Twi-Moms, I won't rip your beloved today.

But in this crazy digital world we live in, what kind of book should someone buy me?  I do so love reading on my Kindle, but I'm not as easy as all that.  I do admit that cheap ebooks have ruined me a bit.  I find it very hard to fork over $30 for a hardback.  But under the right circumstances, I will take that hardback over even a cheap ebook.

Let me explain.

I'm not sure how the rest of you are, but I love to collect books.  I have several series.  *If another book comes out in that series I'm compelled to buy the next one in the same format as the others I own.  Weird, I know.

So, for example, I started reading The Hunger Games on my Kindle.  When I buy the next two books it won't bother me in the least to buy them as ebooks.  But, on the other hand, I have Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series in hardback.  When the time comes to buy Odd Apocalypse, will I fork over the cash?  I'm afraid I will.

I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's the way I am.

This is one reason why I don't buy into the whole "ebooks will kill print books" doctrine.  When someone asks me "paper or plastic?"  I'll reply, "both, please."  And I'm sure I'm not the only one.


*I know the the pic shows both paperback and hardbacks of Harry Potter.  Please know I'm not happy about this and will remedy it as soon as I can.

1 comment:

Plastic card said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.